Limitations of Ports System

Steven Kreuzer stevenkreuzer at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 07:42:46 PST 2007

This thread was called "results of ports re-engineering survey" but I
figured I would start a new thread.

On Dec 12, 2007, at 6:45 AM, Ade Lovett wrote:

> We *know* it can be done better.  We *know* the scaling limits of
> the current system, and most of us are completely amazed it even
> still works.
>
> If y'all want to make a difference, concepts and ideas we have
> plenty of.  Code talks.

Out of curiosity, are any of these shortcomings documented anywhere? I
have been using ports on my home machine for a long time and I've never
had any problems with it. I assume the issues come into play when you
work with multiple systems you are trying to keep in sync, etc.

I would be interested in reading about some of the limitations people
have run into when using ports.

--
Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer