DEPENDS -- is it time to remove it?

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 11 05:55:55 PST 2007

Scot Hetzel escribió:
> On 12/11/07, Paul Schenkeveld <fb-ports at psconsult.nl> wrote:
>
>> So now I have a need for a metaport to depend on another metaport.
>> Without DEPENDS, how do I accomplish that.  Using RUN_DEPENDS with
>> ${NONEXISTENT} seems not appropriate here, the Porters Handbook says
>> that this should only be used to pull in source, not to install another
>> metaport (unless it is already installed) and the effect of using
>> something like RUN_DEPENDS=${NONEXISTENT}:${PORTSDIR}/lang/php5-extensions
>> causes make install to try installing php5-extensions even when this port
>> is already installed.
>>
>> The two metaport I need to depend on are php5-extensions and
>> xorg-drivers and I really don't want to copy the OPTIONS processing of
>> these ports and maintain that in the future.
>>

> For xorg-drivers you simply use:
>
> RUN_DEPENDS= ${LOCALBASE}/libdata/xorg/drivers:${PORTSDIR}/x11-drivers/xorg-drivers
>
> to get this to work for php5-extensions, you would need to patch the
> Makefile with:
>
> PLIST_FILES= libdata/php5/extensions
> PLIST_DIR= libdata/php5
>
> do-install:
>                 ${MKDIR} ${PREFIX}/libdata/php5
>                 ${TOUCH} ${PREFIX}/libdata/php5/extensions
>
> Then you could use:
>
> RUN_DEPENDS= ${LOCALBASE}/libdata/php5/extensions:${PORTSDIR}/lang/php5-extensions

Or what about just depending on the specific components of
php5-extensions? This would reasult in more lines, but would give you a
better way to fine-tune the dependencies and won't result in
unnecessarily installed ports for the user. Or do you really need the
whole bunch of extensions that php5-extensions offers?

--
Gabor Kovesdan
FreeBSD Volunteer

EMAIL: gabor at FreeBSD.org .:|:. gabor at kovesdan.org