augmenting a port: request for advice

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Fri Dec 7 08:03:54 PST 2007

Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 07/12/2007 15:50 Andriy Gapon said the following:
>> So I have this solution worth of Solomon's wisdom :-)
>> It is to add an option to the port, say with WITH_FUSE. When the option
>> is turned on the port would download my sources in addition to the
>> original sources, then modify the build scripts, patch the original
>> sources and build an additional program udfclientfs. Updating plist and
>> dependencies would also be done, of course.

> Please comment.

Here is an idea.  I notice that the extra sources you want to download
are rather small (about 7000 bytes when zipped).  How about if you put
the sources into the "files" subdirectory of the port itself, and then
the port doesn't have to download anything extra.

So, for example, the portlint port comes complete with full sources,
adding up to nearly 100,000 bytes in its "files" subdirectory.  So
adding 7000 bytes to a port is going to be small by comparison.