(Very) bogus package dependencies

Alex Goncharov alex-goncharov at comcast.net
Thu Dec 6 19:48:43 PST 2007

To add a bit to the previous message:

,--- I=Alex (Thu, 06 Dec 2007 22:32:51 -0500) ----*

|    So, is it that a port maintainer creates `/var/db/pkg/PKG/*' files
|    by hand?  Based on individual ideas?  Not on really "must-to-have"
|    things, like dependencies on shared libraries?
|
|    (I am totally unfamiliar with the mechanism to maintain and package
|    the ports and would like to understand it.)

`-------------------------------------------------*

And also, do dependency reports depend on the contents of
`/usr/ports/INDEX-7', in which I see:

--------------------
< /usr/ports/INDEX-7 grep ^xorg-server.*hal-| wc -l
       1
--------------------

which to me implies that `xorg-server' depends on `hal' (am I right
here?)

But INDEX in a fetched file, not aware that I have "WITHOUT_HAL=yes"
in `/etc/make.conf'...

I am rebuilding all the installed ports from source now to see what
dependency chains I'll get, but I would appreciate a brief
explanation.

Thanks,

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --

/*
 * The future is a race between education and catastrophe.
 *
 * -- H. G. Wells
 */