How to get portinstall to 'shut up' so I can run it in background

Ben Kelly bkelly at vadev.org
Tue Dec 4 19:55:52 PST 2007

Doug Barton wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Wes Morgan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Stefan Sperling wrote:
>>
>>> Screen also has log functionality.
>>> Toggle with: Ctrl+A, then Shift+H
>>
>> You can also use "script" to capture the output fairly easily.
>
> So you have to use two different programs, one of which is a port, to
> accomplish what nohup will do by itself. :) My point being that a lot of
> people seem to think that screen(1) is the answer, no matter what the
> question, when often simpler answers exist.
>
> If you're one of those people, that's fine, I learned a long time ago
> I'm not going to change your mind. But I do think it's useful to note
> that there are other valid solutions, even if simply for completeness sake.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have never been able to get
nohup to work correctly with portupgrade for this sort of this.  For
example:

ianto# nohup portupgrade -a >& /tmp/port.log &
[1] 6238
ianto#
[1]  + Suspended (tty output)        portupgrade -a >& /tmp/port.log
ianto#
ianto# cat /tmp/port.log
ianto#

I've never had time to figure out why it suspends, though.  Anyone know?