[RFC/P] Port System Re-Engineering

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 14:15:14 PST 2007

> ===>  Cleaning for xdm-1.1.6_2
>
> What was I supposed to find?

Did you actually run xdm or just assume because it compiled that it
was installed the same way in all cases... hint: the visual appearance
varies signficiantly depending on what method you use.    XDM is no
not unique in this either just off the top of my head I can name the
following ports that demostrate different behaviour depending on what
order the are installed:

gnome-office
abiword
boost
openoffice-2
the entire set of jdk's
perl (what is the difference between the 5.8.8 in the base system and
the one in ports?!?!?!?)

these are just the ones I have found after installing 2 mega metaports
and the java stuff... god knows what is lurking out there

> Here's a hint that would help a *ton* of users.  Don't try to
> install a port until your ports tree is up to date.  Completely up
> to date - as is, run portsnap or cvs or cvsup *first*, *then* try
> to install your port.

I use the following "script" (i.e. by hand) installing a new port
(might be overkill):

cd /usr/ports/....
cvsup /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile (I actually use a local
cvs repo but this is clearer)
portupgrade -a
make uninstall distclean install

If that doesn't guerntee upto date ports nothing will

>> I have several possible solutions (contact me privately if you
>> want more detail) but am purposely not stating them publically so
>> as not to taint the survey any more then it needs to be.
>>
> This is the part I don't get.  If you have suggestions, post them.
>  Post the code that implements your suggestions.  *Then* people can
>  evaluate whether or not your suggestions add value to the ports
> system.
>
> Why the silly games?  As I read them, this seems to be the primary
> objection of all the people responding who have @freebsd.org in
> their email address.  They've heard it all before, but they know
> that actions speak much louder than words.  If you say "the
> implementation of foo is flawed", and then you post code that, IYO,
>  improves it, people with experience and knowledge can review it
> and say, "Hey, nice idea" or "sorry, your code would break ports
> and here's why".
>
> Without the code, all the surveys and gesticulations in this tread
> accomplish little except to irritate people.

See my reply to Chuck.

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems