duration of the ports freeze

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Sat Dec 1 08:05:30 PST 2007

David Southwell wrote:

> What proportion of freebsd users will immediately upgrade to the new
> releases?? Maybe 5% or 10% at the most. Mosty users will stick with
> their existing release. This means that 90 - 95% of users are being
> seriously inconvenienced by the existing port freeze methos. The
> question is can we find an alternative??

I could not disagree more with you. Many users will jump to the new
release, and very few need to run the latest version of some port.  The
rare needing ones  are able to download the sources from the "vendor",
run ./configure --prefix=/crap, make, make install without requiring
assistance and permission from the ports tree. Personnally i am very
happy with the short stabilisation period offered by the ports freeze,
which allows to get something in good shape, and not the continuous
evolution that one gets in between. This means in particular that i am
not a portupgrade maniac, upgrading each day to have the satisfaction of
completely breaking my installation ...

--

Michel TALON