FreeBSD Port: dvd+rw-tools-7.0: growisofs -version dumps core

Wolfram Fenske Wolfram.Fenske at Student.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Tue Aug 28 17:32:15 PDT 2007

Pav Lucistnik <pav at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> Wolfram Fenske píše v út 28. 08. 2007 v 07:47 +0200:
>
>> On my system [1],
>>
>>   growisofs -version
>>
>> causes a core dump in mkisofs (8).  The exact output is:
>>
>>   * growisofs by <appro at fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.0.1,
>>     front-ending to mkisofs: Bus error(coredump)
>>
>> (It says growisofs version 7.0.1, not 7.0, because I also use another
>> patch [2].  The problem occurs with or without this patch, though.)
>>
>> I don't usually call growisofs like that myself, but k3b, for example,
>> does.
>
> Must be something with your system, works for me:

Ah, you're right.  I compiled the dvd+rw-tools myself, and the default
`gmake install' installs the programs with the setuid bit set.  I saw
what I thought was a reference to my bug on the freebsd-ports-bugs
list [1], so I thought this problem occurred in the ports collection
as well.

It turns out the FreeBSD port installs the dvd+rw-tools with mode 555
and the problem doesn't reveal itself in this configuration.  However,
if you do set the setuid bit on the programs built from the ports
collection [2], you get the behavior I described.  My little patch
fixes that.

Footnotes:
[1]  <http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2007-March/115864.html>

[2]  I don't know, is there a particular reason why the dvd+rw-tools
     should or shouldn't be installed that way?

--
Wolfram Fenske