/compat/linux/usr/bin/ld -- old devel/linux_devel port?

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Fri Aug 24 06:52:14 PDT 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:05:26 +0200
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:

[...]
> >> If you want to do Linux development on FreeBSD you need to install
> >> a linux_dist port (contains a compiler toolchain) and chroot into
> >> the corresponding directory (it's in /usr/local/...).
> >
> > Alexander, many thanks for the explanation. My question was related
> >
> >   (1) an old freebsd-ports@ post (written by you):
> >

> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-March/009943.html
>
> Ugh... be careful if you try to do something which is described
> here. You really need to know what you are doing, else you open up
> pandoras box...

Understood. :)

> >   (2) the recent user question regarding running Linux versions of
> > GHDL and/or GNAT compilers on FreeBSD-amd64:
> >

> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-August/155758.html
> >
> > So your explanation answers the question from (2) (correct?) as
> > well as why linux_devel and linux_devtools ports were erased.
>
> linux_dev* where:
>   - outdated
>   - broken / dangerous / not suitable for RH8 or FCx
>   - not maintained
>
> You will not be able to run ld from linux_dist without a chroot.
> With a chroot, you will not be able to really use it from a FreeBSD
> Port (even if you manage to get it running without the chroot). When
> you run with a chroot, you will generate linux binaries, not FreeBSD
> binaries.

Ok, so such a mixing is out of question...

> The right thing to do for (2) is to port GNAT to amd64, and I doubt
> the easy way is to take the linux compiler and play some tricks with
> it.

... I thought that skipping GNAT and using linux binaries of GHDL
compiler directly could be useful in meantime for that user. And again,
my thoughts about it were inspired by the existence of lang/ifc port.

I mean, despite the fact that linux-ghdl compiler (which needs linux-ld)
produces linux binaries, it still can be useful for someone who wants
to switch to FreeBSD. In fact, I obviously lack the knowledge on how
IFC produces FreeBSD binaries and if it's possible in other cases. But
that's another story.

Nikola Lečić