/compat/linux/usr/bin/ld -- old devel/linux_devel port?

Fri Aug 24 05:05:37 PDT 2007

Quoting Nikola Lecic <nlecic at EUnet.yu> (from Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:25:47 +0200):

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:44:45 +0200
> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Nikola Lecic <nlecic at EUnet.yu> (from Thu, 23 Aug 2007
>> 17:57:02 +0200):
>>
>> > [I sent this to freebsd-questions@ three days ago but got no
>> > answers. I hope these two lists are more appropriate places for
>> > this question.]
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > What is the recommended way for obtaining linux ld binary
>> > (/compat/linux/usr/bin/ld)?
>> >
>> > I found in the archives that devel/linux_devel port used to provide
>> > it, but it seems that there is no such port now, except
>> > emulators/linux*-gentoo*.
>>
>> The linux_base ports are not designed to do linux development. They
>> are designed to run Linux programs on FreeBSD. As such some files
>> are missing to give a fallthrough to the FreeBSD versions of it.
>>
>> If you want to do Linux development on FreeBSD you need to install a
>> linux_dist port (contains a compiler toolchain) and chroot into the
>> corresponding directory (it's in /usr/local/...).
>
> Alexander, many thanks for the explanation. My question was related to
>
>   (1) an old freebsd-ports@ post (written by you):
>

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-March/009943.html

Ugh... be careful if you try to do something which is described here.
You really need to know what you are doing, else you open up pandoras
box...

>   (2) the recent user question regarding running Linux versions of GHDL
>       and/or GNAT compilers on FreeBSD-amd64:
>

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-August/155758.html
>
> So your explanation answers the question from (2) (correct?) as well as
> why linux_devel and linux_devtools ports were erased.

linux_dev* where:
  - outdated
  - broken / dangerous / not suitable for RH8 or FCx
  - not maintained

You will not be able to run ld from linux_dist without a chroot. With
a chroot, you will not be able to really use it from a FreeBSD Port
(even if you manage to get it running without the chroot). When you
run with a chroot, you will generate linux binaries, not FreeBSD
binaries.

The right thing to do for (2) is to port GNAT to amd64, and I doubt
the easy way is to take the linux compiler and play some tricks with it.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people's.
		-- Oscar Wilde