How did upgrading applications happen before portupgrade etc?

David Ericson Thiel lx at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 11 11:18:00 PDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 12:03:33PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> Did one upgrade applications through a series of "make deinstall reinstall"
> commands (I wonder if these commands take care of dependencies too) or was
> there any other way?

I used pkg_version -c, which has now been removed. It spit out a
shell script that did the relevant upgrade commands, but wasn't
perfect. OpenBSD still has this option, and it's a perl script,
so you can probably still use that one if you're allergic to
portupgrade/portmaster.