portsdb and cvsup

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Mon Aug 6 17:52:26 UTC 2007

>> If you ever figure out what special macros are or in which situations
>> the ''-U'' switch is useful, please do let me know.
>
> Having "Special Macros" is (I am almost certain) a strange way of
> saying that you have set various make variables which will affect
> the dependency tree for a port.  Eg. if you were to have the
> following in /etc/make.conf:
>
> WANT_OPENLDAP_SASL=     yes
>
> Then you'ld find that any port needed LDAP functionality would
> depend on openldap-sasl-client-2.3.37 rather than
> openldap-client-2.3.37

Thank you shedding light on that Matthew. I didn't know you could have
variables such as these WANT_* ones. Where can I see what all WANT_*
options are available for a particular port -- in the port's Makefile
itself, or someplace else?

A quick clarification: while updating to Emacs 22.1, for instance,
/usr/ports/UPDATING asks one to add a line such as
"EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs22" to /etc/make.conf. Does that count as a special
macro (and so one should use portsdb -Uu while updating INDEX*.db)?

> In which case, in order to have an accurate INDEX, you'ld need to
> build one yourself rather than downloading the default one.
> Building an INDEX from scratch is pretty time consuming, although
> there are faster alternatives for incrementally updating it (if I
> may be excused for blowing my own trumpet:
> ports-mgmt/p5-FreeBSD-Portindex).

Thanks for mentioning that. If I ever need to use special macros I know
where to look for faster INDEX updating. :)

Regards,
Rakhesh