HEADS UP for portmaster users: Mandatory upgrade

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 6 04:28:13 UTC 2007

Mark Kane wrote:

> Unfortunately I didn't see this before trying portmaster on a machine.

I'm sorry to hear that. :-/

> I ran portmaster -L and it said that six ports were out of date which
> sounded right since I've been working on putting the machine together
> recently and I had a recent ports tree. I ran portmaster -a and let it
> do it's thing, however afterwards there are a lot of corrupted package
> infos (pasted below).
>
> Only 28 of 450+ come up as corrupted however I'm not sure how to fix
> them as I've never had corrupted package data before.

For the ones where there are still files in the pkg directory,
"corrupted" usually means that the permissions are wrong on those
files. Try this:
chown -R root:wheel /var/db/pkg
find /var/db/pkg -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find /var/db/pkg -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

That should fix you up.

> In /var/db/pkg/name on the corrupted ones, some directories are
> entirely empty (such as portmaster, intltool, ghostscript-gpl, etc
> which portmaster was trying to update) and others such as gimp and vlc
> are missing +CONTENTS files even though they weren't being updated.

For those ports I'm afraid the only way to reliably reproduce the pkg
data is to rebuild and reinstall. If you don't use too many weird
options you could probably get away with downloading the packages and
using the pkg data from those. Then the next time you use portmaster
to update those ports it will properly rebuild the pkgdep and
+REQUIRED_BY stuff.

hope this helps,

Doug