Help, several but not all ports make failing with no errors

Yuri Pankov yuri at darklight.org.ru
Thu Aug 2 21:10:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:47:14AM -0700, Jeffrey Williams wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am having a weird problem, since upgrading several servers to the new
> Xorg.  These servers do not have full X installed on them, but do have apps
> installed that depend on some X libraries.
>
> When trying to install some ports, most recently subversion, when I type
> "make" in the port directory, I get returned immediately to the prompt,
> with no messages, and now errors, nothing copied or installed.
>
> This problem has occurred intermittently with out a lot of consistency.
> For instance php5 worked fine on one server but not on another, most of the
> servers are running in jails, at the moment subversion is my main problem.
>
> All servers were upgrade from 6.2p0 to p6 using cvsup and make buildworld,
> on some the installed ports were upgraded using the portupgrade technique
> form UPDATING, on others all pre-existing ports were deinstalled, mergebase
> was run, then needed ports were reinstalled.  This problem seems to
> manifest equally regardless of which technique was used.
>
> This problem does not occur with every port, for instance on the two
> servers currently causing me problems, visitors and wget installed fine,
> but subversion exhibits the symptoms described above, problem seems to
> occur more often on the jailed servers than on the regular, I also tried
> installing to the jailed servers from the jail host server using the
> DESTDIR flag, but had the same symptom.
>
> Really quick help on this would be appreciated, this is holding up some
> critical projects.
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

The only reason that I can think of - you haven't cleaned work/
directories after ports installation, and now make is seeing cookie
files - work/.build_done, work/.install_done - and is doing nothing as
it should. Anyway, try running `portsclean -C' and sorry if reason lies
somewhere deeper.

HTH,
Yuri