Is there anybody will port the ATI linux driver to FreeBSD?

Thu Apr 26 06:17:19 UTC 2007

Quoting Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org> (from
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:50:51 -0400):

> "Andres Hernandez" <jaskel.systems at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sorry, but we need to do something... i can help if u want, but tell me how.
>> I dont like my freebsd with vesa in my laptop.
>>
>> I have an ATI Mobility x1400
>
> The ATI driver isn't open-source, so porting it isn't really an option.

The X11 driver itself does not need to be ported, as it is only
architecture dependand, but not OS dependand. So the x86 driver will
work with our X.org (as long as the X.org versions are compatible).
The only thing what needs to be ported is the kernel interface.

Have a look at http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/ATI/ for some
preliminary results. Note, I'm not the author, I just host the files.
The author doesn't work at this ATM, so anyone is free to pick it up
and try to proceed further.

Bye,
Alexander.

--