grace 5.1.21 port

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Wed Apr 25 10:51:23 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007, Xavier Otazu said:
> Hello,
>
> Great news!
>
> Thanks a lot for your effort!
>
> Where may I learn how to become a port maintainer?  I've seen the
> Porter's Handbook, but I am not sure I will have enough time to
> read all this handbook in order to maintain the grace port. There
> some "short" handbook to know the basic skills to become a
> maintainer?
>
> cheers,
>
> Xavier

There really isn't any shortcut. If anything the porter's handbook
isn't detailed enough. You should start out understanding everything
in the Makefile for the port your interested in maintaining. Same
goes for the pkg-plist and all other relevent files. The porter's
handbook is an excellent tutorial, the more you learn about the
overall structure, the easier it will be to do an upgrade. There are
a lot of useful tools in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt that can make your
life easier. I use porttools quite a bit.

Just digest the handbook a chunk at a time, and before long it will
all start to make sense.

Good Luck,

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Port Maintainer - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html