Printable Porters' Handbook & ghostscript-gpl-nox11 problem

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Apr 23 20:26:08 UTC 2007

I would like to get a printable (US letter) copy of the Porters'
Handbook (pdf, ps, or even dvi).  It didn't seem to come on 6.2
RELENG except as HTML and plain text.

After much search of ports, I eventually found

   textproc/docproj-jadetex

which seems like overkill to me.  I just need a PDF or similar (US
Letter preferred) without having to install TeX and a whole bunch of
other things.  (I like and use TeX, but just not on the FreeBSD
machine which I'm trying to keep reasonably minimal).

When trying to install docproj-jadetex I have an check sum error with

  print/ghostscript-gpl-nox11

Here is the last bit of a

   make install

attempt

=> MD5 Checksum OK for ghostscript/gdevlx50.c.
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for ghostscript/gdevlx50.c.
=> MD5 Checksum OK for ghostscript/gs6.0.lexmark7000.patch.
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for ghostscript/gs6.0.lexmark7000.patch.
=> MD5 Checksum OK for ghostscript/gdevhl12.c.
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for ghostscript/gdevhl12.c.
===>  Giving up on fetching files: ghostscript/gdevdj9.c.gz
ghostscript/gdevdj9.c.gz
Make sure the Makefile and distinfo file (/usr/ports/print/
ghostscript-gpl-nox11/../ghostscript-gpl/distinfo)
are up to date.  If you are absolutely sure you want to override this
check, type "make NO_CHECKSUM=yes [other args]".
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gpl-nox11.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gpl-nox11.

Now I could try to trace this out, but I don't know if getting the
whole docproj stuff installed is going to be a simple matter (well,
it already isn't).  So I'd prefer to just get the PDF so I can send
it to Kinkos for printing.

(Maybe after I've work through some of the handbook I'll be more
inclined to ferret out my ghostscript installation problems, but I'm
not all that clear on the whole ports and pkg system yet.