Tracking port and package flags/options

James E. Flemer jflemer at uvm.edu
Wed Apr 18 04:50:40 UTC 2007

[Please maintain CC.]

Here are some patches to the FreeBSD package tools, and the ports
infrastructure to track make flags/options used to build a port/package.
  I've been using these changes locally for something like 2-3 years.
This greatly helps me manage packages across several machines, and
across port upgrades.

There are some quirks, such as recursively built ports inherit the port
flags used for the explicitly built port.  Sometimes this recursive
behavior is intentional, but most often the implicitly built ports do
not necessarily use the flags for the explicitly built port.

There are also two other unrelated tweaks to the ports infrastructure in
the patch, but I've included them as I've been using them for a long
time as well.  First is to make backups when using USE_DOS2UNIX.  Second
is to change dependency tracking to first-order only (versus recursive);
see http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?427E4687.40901 for previous
discussion.

I'm posting these now, as I see there are at least two SoC projects
aimed at the ports/package infrastructure, and perhaps these changes
(conceptual or implementation) could be considered by the SoC
participants for incorporation.

-James