Utility for safe updating of ports in base system

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 18 03:43:25 UTC 2007

RW wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:31:39 -0400
> Adam Stroud <adam.p.stroud at baesystems.com> wrote:
>

>> I was just on the FreeBSD "list of projects and ideas fot volunteers"
>> page and I was wondering if anyone was working on the "portupgrade in
>> C" utility.  I would be willing to help (code/document/test) if it's
>> needed.
>
> What would be the point of putting any port-upgrading tool in the
> base-system? The ports tree isn't branched, so why branch such tools in
> the base-system. IMO they logically belong in ports where they are
> better able to follow any developments in the ports-system.

I'm working on combining the pkg_* tools along with the existing
makefile system with a bourne shell file for my SoC project(*)

As for writing a utility in C, why? Almost everything's there right now
and just needs to be strung together with some clever scripting to make
it all work. C in this case is just overkill IMO.

I'm sorry RW, because while I do agree to some extent, there should be
something out of the box that works with the Makefiles and does
everything necessary to install ports, apart from someone manually going
to each directory and typing in "make install", or using some "advanced"
functionality in the Makefiles.

(*) This is the 2nd goal on my list out of 3 items, so it's going to be
a while before I get to it (I estimate 2 months).

-Garrett