Hash table support in ports-mgmt/porttools (!)

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 16 02:36:31 UTC 2007

Hello all,
	I'm not sure if anyone else was aware of this since it's not documented
in the manual, but portupgrade and friends' package database used for
storing and retrieving ports also supports a BDB hash tables, not just
B-Trees in the backend. I found this out after poking through the Ruby
code a bit.

	I noticed a bit of lag when updating the entire DB compared with
B-Trees, but after that it appears to be relatively quick.

	In order to use the hash table support you need to set the following
variable, like so in your environment:

PKG_DBDRIVER="hash"

	Just thought I'd say something if no one knew about this.
-Garrett