Ports tree infrastructure

Dirk Meyer dirk.meyer at dinoex.sub.org
Fri Apr 13 06:26:05 UTC 2007

Hallo Dan Casey,

> I am setting up a single server as a 'build box' for our freebsd
> servers.  We want to build our own packages because
> 1. we may need to compile certain ports with different flags then
> freebsd chooses.

You can cutomize the build with /etc/make.conf,
or createing a Makefile.local for the port,
or create a slave port for yourself.

For details read my paper:
http://www.dinoex.de/schulungen/package-en.html

> 2. We want to update ports only when needed.  Ie: Unless we need
> something in a new version of a port, or unless there is a security
> hole, we want to keep the old version.
>
> What I'm setting up is a regular ports tree (/usr/ports) which is Not
> updated.  Then a second tree /usr/local/current-ports which is updated
> daily with portsnap.
>
> When I want to upgrade a port, I would copy it over from the current
> ports tree.  I'm not sure what to do about the INDEX files, which is
> what i had trouble finding documentation on.

Als long as your ports tree is working,
my scripts dont care for INDEX.
http://people.freebsd.org/~dinoex/batch/README

> This looks like it is going to be a pain to maintain this.  Are there
> any ports or scripts that pointy hat uses that could be helpful in my
> type of environment.   Are there any better solutions?

I am confident that it is much better to build a consistent set
of packages on your build machine, and
install/update the other machines with your packages.

kind regards Dirk

- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany
- [dirk.meyer at dinoex.sub.org],[dirk.meyer at guug.de],[dinoex at FreeBSD.org]
http://people.freebsd.org/~dinoex/errorlogs/