Using portsnap after sysinstall

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Thu Apr 12 20:26:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:23:57 -0500
Brooks Davis <brooks at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I really wish sysinstall would install a copy of ports created by
> portsnap and provide an option to install the associated working
> files. As things stand, I never install the ports collection from
> sysinstall because it takes forever and I just end up deleting it.

IMO the current behaviour is actually very sensible. The ports tree on
the disk is from a period of time when maintainers were holding-off
doing anything radical, and just fixing bugs - it's the closest thing
we have to a ports release. It's also the same snapshot that was used
to create the binary packages, which minimizes dependency problems if
you need to mix ports and packages.

If your aim is to get a reliable system up quickly and easily, running
portsnap can be the wrong thing to do.