parallel builds revisited

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 10 17:44:58 UTC 2007

Benjamin Lutz píše v út 10. 04. 2007 v 04:52 +0200:

> Some time ago, after buying a Core 2 Duo system, I've become interested
> in doing something about the inherent single-threadedness of the ports.
> Even though I have a dualcore machine, ports builds only ever use one
> core. I started thinking about various approaches to introduce
> parallelism to ports builds and wrote down my thoughts here:
> http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-ports&m=116124997126657&w=2

I have same thoughts, and I wrote about it on Project Ideas page.
That text materialized into a Summer of Code proposal, which is most
probably going to get funded. So stay tuned. However, the proposal
concentrates mainly on allowing several ports to build in parallel.

> Well, since then I've tinkered with various approaches. I concentrated
> on using make's -j feature. After adding the flag to the gmake
> invocation in bsd.port.mk, I quickly noticed that some ports can take
> advantage of the flag and thus build much more quickly (eg, all the KDE
> ports),

Because they use gmake

> others are still single-threaded (X.org),

Because they use imake

> but of course there are also ports that fail to build (Openoffice.org).

Now that means nothing :)

> This means that a per-port switch is required.

Yes, a whitelist approach looks best.

>   3) Save this to /usr/local/etc/parallel_builds.conf:
>      http://www.maxlor.com/temp/parallel_builds.conf .
>      This is a list of ports as stored in PKGORIGIN, or as
>      pkg_info -o reports them.

I was thinking about having it embedded in every port's Makefile
directly, instead. Something like

USE_MAKE_JOBS=	2

> So now I would like to invite you test, comment, or simply philosophize
> on these changes.

I have great interest in this development. This is a highly desirable
feature to have.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>