Cannot package converters/libiconv inside clean chroot

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Sat Apr 7 20:27:40 UTC 2007

Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> While I can pkg_delete/pkg_add the libtool15 package at will, the
> libiconv package fails to pkg_add because bsdtar(1) is whining:
>
> roadrunner# pkg_add -v /usr/ports/packages/All/libiconv-1.9.2_2.tbz
> lib/libcharset.so: Couldn't stat file: No such file or directory
> lib/libiconv.so: Couldn't stat file: No such file or directory
>
> It doesn't matter if I 'make package' or 'pkg_create -b' the package. I
> can extract it just fine using the cmd line tar(1) though.
>
> roadrunner# tar tvvf /usr/ports/packages/All/libiconv-1.9.2_2.tbz

tar xvf works as well as tar tvf?  It sounds like bsdtar is
refusing to recreate the symlink on disk.

> What do the '1' in the second column mean? The manpage just refers to
> ls(1). If it is the inode link count, how can most of the entries be
> zero?

Most tar entries don't store a link count, so it shows up
as zero.  Apparently, the two symlink entries are getting
stored with pax format for some reason.  (The 'pax' format
is an extension to 'ustar'; a single archive can mix entries
in different formats.  By default, bsdtar prefers 'ustar',
using 'pax' only for entries that require it.)

Sounds like 'tar' inside the chroot is different than the
one outside.  You've probably found a bug in the newest
RELENG_6 tar.

Can you email me the troublesome package file?

I'll also try to reproduce this here.

Thanks,

Tim Kientzle