Incorrect version comparison

Marcus Ahlberg ahlbergm at student.chalmers.se
Wed Apr 4 19:31:16 UTC 2007

My daily cronscript reported this morning that there was a new
version of ruby+pthreads:
ruby+pthreads-1.8.5.12,1            <   needs updating (index has
1.8.6,1)

However, when I was about to upgrade it, it didn't appear in the list
of outdated ports. Instead I saw this output from portversion:
ruby+pthreads-1.8.5.12,1    >  succeeds port (port has 1.8.6)

It appears that (1.8.6,1) has been replaced by (1.8.6) during the day
and this has inaccurately taged my (1.8.5)-installation as newer than
the one in ports. What might be the cause of this?

/Marcus Ahlberg