Ports tree infrastructure

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Wed Apr 4 19:24:23 UTC 2007

On 2007-Apr-03 11:42:20 -0400, Dan Casey <dcasey at debtresolve.com> wrote:
>What I'm setting up is a regular ports tree (/usr/ports) which is Not
>updated.  Then a second tree /usr/local/current-ports which is updated
>daily with portsnap.

I suggest that you mirror the CVS repository (via CTM or CVSup) and
checkout your own ports tree.  You can then add local patches or
cvs upgrade different bits of the tree as desired.

>When I want to upgrade a port, I would copy it over from the current
>ports tree.

As others have mentioned, it's not necessarily as simple as that - you
may also need to update bits of ports/Mk and/or associated ports.  You
will probably have to follow the cvs-ports mailing list to make sure
you see the changes.

>  I'm not sure what to do about the INDEX files, which is
>what i had trouble finding documentation on.

Your only option here is "cd /usr/ports && make index" - which is quite
slow (try it and see).  You can't fetch INDEX if you aren't tracking
the full ports tree.

>This looks like it is going to be a pain to maintain this.

You are correct here.

--
Peter Jeremy