cyrus-sasl alternative?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 4 14:45:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 08:56:33AM -0500, Eric wrote:
> Jona Joachim wrote:
> >Anton Blajev a écrit :
> >>
> >>Hello group,
> >>what alternative can I use insted of the port scheduled for deletion:
> >>
> >>portname:           security/cyrus-sasl
> ><snip>
> >
> >If you also need a POP3/IMAP server you might want to take a look at
> >Dovecot. I'm using Dovecot SASL.
>
> maybe i missed something, but whats wrong with the sasl2 port? isnt that
> what most people are using already?

Purely my own opinion/experience:

Have you ever looked at the code for Cyrus's SASL and SASL2?  It's an
atrocity.  I'll happily use dovecot once some additional features and
implementation issues are dealt with (I took notes when attempting to
switch us over from qpopper + POP-before-SMTP to dovecot, so if you
want details I can dig up my notes), but never will I use Cyrus's
SASL stuff.