CONFLICTS not working as expected

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Wed Sep 27 10:14:06 PDT 2006

Roman Bogorodskiy <novel at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>   Fabian Keil wrote:

> > My system is FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE, and I have the feeling
> > that CONFLICTS aren't working at all, at least for the "conflicting"
> > ports I tried:
> >
> > porttest# pkg_info | egrep -e '^(gnutls|tor-|privoxy)'
> > gnutls-1.4.4        GNU Transport Layer Security library
> > gnutls-devel-1.5.0  GNU Transport Layer Security library
> > privoxy-3.0.3_5     Privoxy is a web proxy with advanced filtering
> > capabilities privoxy-devel-3.0.5 A web proxy with advanced filtering
> > capabilities tor-0.1.1.23        An anonymizing overlay network for TCP
> > tor-devel-0.1.2.1   An anonymizing overlay network for TCP
> >
> > There is a PR about CONFLICTS being ignored if DESTDIR
> > is set (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/102300),
> > but it is supposed to be fixed and I'm not using DESTDIR anyway.
>
> It's actually about that CONFLICTS does *not* work with default (not
> set) DESTDIR. However, current DESTDIR implementation is going to be
> replaced with the new one which would probably avoid this inconvenient
> bug.

You're right of course. I should have read the whole PR,
not just parts of it.

It also seems to be the cause of my problem.
With DESTDIR set, CONFLICTS are working as expected:

porttest# make package DESTDIR=/.
[...]
===>  Installing for privoxy-devel-3.0.5 into /.

===>  privoxy-devel-3.0.5 conflicts with installed package(s) in /.:
      privoxy-3.0.3_5

      They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/privoxy-devel.

Thanks.

Fabian