Port Makefiles and the MANPREFIX macro

Matt Dawson matt at chronos.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 23:22:22 PDT 2006

Hi all,
	Currently doing battle with some port updates and I have come across a
strange problem. It's probably my fault, but some guidance would be
appreciated.

Three of the ports I maintain have decided that the man pages belong in
${PREFIX}/share/man/man(n). Now, reading the Porter's Handbook, it appears
this is exactly what the MAN[n]PREFIX macro is for, and sure enough after
removing the man page from pkg-plist and telling the Makefile about it, the
ports system compresses the resultant man page in its new location. So far so
good.

However, on deinstall, if appeand two lots of ${PREFIX} when trying to remove
the man page. For example, grig installs a man page
to /usr/local/share/man/man1/grig.1 (for a ${PREFIX} of /usr/local). The
deinstall routine trys to delete grig.1.gz
from /usr/local/share//usr/local/share/man/man1, which is just a little
crazy. Note the two slashes between the two iterations of the MANPREFIX.

Any clues, folks? I'd like to get these updates in before the ports tree is
frozen for 6.2 if at all possible.
--
Matt Dawson.

matt at chronos.org.uk