ports/103178: [repocopy] net/samba3 -> net/samba

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 13 23:49:33 PDT 2006

On 9/14/06, [LoN]Kamikaze <LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de> wrote:
> It strikes me that if ports were named net/samba3 and net/samba4 people
> would simply assume that net/samba4 is their way to go.
>
> Maybe a meta port net/samba that always points to the latest stable
> release would solve that.

We've got mysql, postgresql, all the php4-* and php5-* stuff,
apache and quite a lot of other examples of versioned port
directories - and there's no sign of users hitting a wall with
unstable versions just because they thought "the newer the
better".