portmaster deletes failed ports

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Sep 8 21:53:40 UTC 2006

On Sep 8, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> Craig Boston wrote:
>> Though I still think "leaf ports" and "root ports" should be
>> listed together.
>
> I have gone back and forth on that a few times myself. Does anyone
> else have an opinion?

Whether a port is a leaf port or not does not seem especially
important to me.

Whether a port has been installed explicitly by the user or whether
it has been installed as a build-time or runtime dependencies is
important, especially as time passes and the dependencies change.

I will always want to have all of the ports I've explicitly installed
present & updated, and I will always want the runtime dependencies
for those ports installed & updated as needed, but I'd be happier to
have outdated dependencies that aren't needed anymore be deleted
rather than updated.

>> PS, in case I haven't said it before, many thanks to Doug for
>> writing portmaster!
>
> Thanks for the kind words!

I'm not using portmaster yet, as portupgrade has worked OK for me
thus far, but I would second Craig's opinion, and I would suspect
that I'm going to try switching over soon.

--
-Chuck