portmaster: make config-conditonal ?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 5 17:14:31 UTC 2006

B Briggs wrote:
> Rene Ladan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> what about the idea of using 'make config-conditional' instead of 'make
>> config' in portmaster to configure ports?  This way
>> /var/db/ports/*/options is respected.
>>
>> The downside is that you have to run 'make rmconfig' in order to
>> reconfigure the port options.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rene
>
> I second that emotion!
>
> or possibly use config-conditional in -u unattended mode, and config
> otherwise.

The problem with doing that is that there is (what I consider to be) a bug
in the OPTIONS framework where if you have an existing /var/db/ports/ file
for that port, but the Makefile introduces a new option, config-conditional
will not re-run config to allow you to twiddle the new option. I did
extensive testing with the various combinations of targets before settling
on the method I chose. Doing it the way I have is the only way to be
absolutely sure that you can set each option, even if new ones are added.

FWIW, I would really like to see the OPTIONS framework improved to handle
this, and other bugs; since I would like to be able to do what you guys
described here too. :)

hth,

Doug