portmaster deletes failed ports

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Mon Sep 4 20:18:12 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 September 2006 16:15, Rene Ladan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran my approx. daily portmaster -a -d run this morning.  It started
> upgrading sysutils/bsdstats, but failed because pkg-install was not
> present.  When that file got committed later this morning, portmaster
> didn't upgrade the port because ... (huh ?) ... bsdstats was not
> installed anymore.

The old version of a package must be deleted before a new one can be
installed. Build tools like port[upgrade|manager|master] create a backup
package file from the existing installed files, which is supposed to be
reinstalled, if the port install fails.

You're seeing a bug rather than a missing feature. Possibly there was a
problem with the previous version of bsdstats too.