Jabberd vs PostgreSQL

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Sep 1 18:37:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 11:05:43AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:

> >> If I understand correctly, pgsql runs as an unprivileged user, which means
> >> it needs to REQUIRE LOGIN. OTOH, there is no reason that jabberd should run
> >> BEFORE LOGIN, and I suspect that is an artifact of copying and pasting a
> >> script that had that in it for no good reason. In fact,
> >> ports/net-im/jabber/files/jabberd.sh.in does not have that line, so I am
> >> wondering what port you're working with here.
> >
> > I'd agree that pgsql should REQUIRE LOGIN, but I think the reason is
> > subtilly different.  In my mind the key with LOGIN is that the system
> > is ready security wise to allow users to interact with the machine via
> > methods other than the administrative console.  This should mean the
> > secure level is elevated and any other security bootstrapping is done.
> > IIRC this is actually not the case and should be fixed.
>
> That's an interesting idea, I'll have to give it some more thought.

This is what LOGIN has to say for it self:

#       This is a dummy dependency to ensure user services such as xdm,
#       inetd, cron and kerberos are started after everything else, in case
#       the administrator has increased the system security level and
#       wants to delay user logins until the system is (almost) fully
#       operational.

> >> In any case, the proper fix here seems to be to have jabber REQUIRE
> >> postgresql. Try that, and if it works, you're golden.
> >
> > There are a couple problems with "REQUIRE postgresql" in general:
>
> I wasn't speaking in general. :) I probably should have
> s/here/in your situation/ to make it more clear what I meant.

I suspected that was the case, but wanted to insure this didn't get
committed.

> > I think the right thing is create a stub DATABASE provider that mysql
> > and postgres can be BEFORE.  Ports that want a database can just depend
> > on that.  It will insure that ordering is correct if the server is local
> > without causing problems if it isn't or requiring script modifications
> > for ports that can use more than one database from the same package.
>
> No objections on my side, but I am not in a position to develop or test it,
> since I'm not using any database stuff at the moment and don't have any
> spare cycles. This topic came up on the -rc list a while back and no one bit
> the apple, so if there is a user (or committer) here who wants to work this
> one out, please feel free to take this project up, and report your findings
> on freebsd-rc at .

The big question in my mind is, do we make a port to do this or add it
to the base?  I think we'd need a port for compatability so we might
just want to create one and always use it.

-- Brooks