Jabberd vs PostgreSQL

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 1 05:37:14 UTC 2006

Jiawei Ye wrote:

> I can see that postgresql requires LOGIN, but jabberd is BEFORE:LOGIN,
> what is the proper solution?

If I understand correctly, pgsql runs as an unprivileged user, which means
it needs to REQUIRE LOGIN. OTOH, there is no reason that jabberd should run
BEFORE LOGIN, and I suspect that is an artifact of copying and pasting a
script that had that in it for no good reason. In fact,
ports/net-im/jabber/files/jabberd.sh.in does not have that line, so I am
wondering what port you're working with here.

In any case, the proper fix here seems to be to have jabber REQUIRE
postgresql. Try that, and if it works, you're golden.

Doug