what to use as "global" switch to not build x11 based ports ?

Andreas Klemm andreas at freebsd.org
Sat Oct 28 06:40:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

a USENET posting of a user, looking for a global make variable
to prevent building of x11 based software, caused me to look
how to do it best with FreeBSD. Maybe he came from Gentoo Linux ;-)

At the moment I only found the variable WITHOUT_X11.
But its only for ports, that can be built optionally with and without
X11 support. It doesn't hinder directly to built x11 stuff using ports
collection.

Would we have to invent new global make variables and a new logic
in bsd.port.mk
or is there a more easier way with existing knobs that I perhaps
overlooked ?

IMHO a global make variable NO_X11 or something like this
would need to be added and some logic that then still allows
to build ports, that optionally can be built without x11 support.

So NO_X11 should automatically set WITHOUT_X11, so that approx
250 ports (that use WITHOUT_X11) still could be built.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 6
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/