[HEADS UP] Formation of python@ group

Alexander Botero-Lowry alexbl at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 26 07:51:01 UTC 2006

In the tradition of forming groups like gnome@, perl@ and multimedia@
which maintain and develop significant parts of the Ports collection,
perky@ and I have decided to form a group to maintain and develop
Python ports and the surrounding framework (bsd.python.mk) used to
manage these ports in the Ports Collection.

Some may have noticed that the new Python 2.5 port is now maintained
by python@, and when the freeze ends perky@ and I will change
maintainership of a number of ports we maintain to the group as a
whole.

Many porters (both submitters and committers) have already shown
interest in the group and we're all hanging out on the freebsd-python
list and in #FreeBSD-Python on Freenode, so that others can join.

Our next big step after the slush has ended will be to get Python
2.5 and dependent ports (as in, every Python port) into a situation
where 2.5 can be made the default Python version in the collection.
We're also hoping to work on bsd.python.mk to make inter-version
dependencies easier to handle and to support the new waves in
Python package distribution and management (setuptools and friends).

All our welcome to join us on IRC and mailing list, and we welcome
any committers or submitters interested in helping out with Python
ports!

Hye-Shik Chang (perky@) and Alexander Botero-Lowry (alexbl@)