amule aborts after gnome upgrade

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed Oct 25 16:16:59 UTC 2006

After the recent GNOME2/GTK2 upgrade aMule (net-p2p/amule2) started to
crash on closing a search tab.

Simple testcase:
1. fire up aMule
2. connect to server(s)
3. search for something (e.g. "freebsd")
4. close the search tab
5. crash

I think that this is caused by some incompatibility between aMule and
GTK2 or wxwidgets and GTK2. That incompatibility might result either
from some API behavioral change or some GTK2 code change that simply
exposes some bug hidden before that.

You can find other similar reports by googling for "amule
gtk_container_remove assertion failed", e.g.:
http://www.google.com/search?q=amule+gtk_container_remove+assertion+failed&hl=en

aMule spits the following on its stdout/stderr when aborting:

(amule:53556): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_remove: assertion
`GTK_IS_TOOLBAR (container) || widget->parent == GTK_WIDGET (container)'
failed

Gtk-ERROR **: file gtkcontainer.c: line 2447
(gtk_container_propagate_expose): assertion failed: (child->parent ==
GTK_WIDGET (container))
aborting...
Abort (core dumped)
Exit 134

I determined that the check and the assertion fail because
widget->parent aka child->parent is NULL.

Software:
gtk-2.10.6_1
wxgtk2-2.6.3
wxgtk2-common-2.6.3