gnome2-lite vs tomboy vs epiphany

martinko gamato at pobox.sk
Tue Oct 24 06:39:01 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've installed gnome2-lite from ports and there are 2 things that
concern me:

1)
Since this is gnome2-lite and it's supposed to be light I wonder why we
include Tomboy with all its heavy dependencies.  Tomboy is just another
note making app which depends on Mono which in turn has its own
dependencies.  I believe Tomboy should be part of full Gnome install but
not this light port.  Especially since we already have original (and
lighter) sticky notes included. (!)
While at this I'd also like to ask you whether it's really necessary to
have a dependency of x11-toolkits/gtk-sharp20 (required by Tomboy) on
devel/monodoc.  Couldn't this be done as with php_doc and many others ?
 That is no dependency at all (it's just documentation, right?) or have
a knob (which should default to off).

2)
I wonder why Epiphany is not included in gnome2-lite.  What is the new
default browser ?  I guess this was just forgotten as Epiphany icon
appears on deskbar (the panel at the top) by default.

With regards,

Martin