gnome update

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 23 18:18:40 UTC 2006

Ganbold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to update gnome to 2.16 using portmaster for more than 3 days :(

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble. Are you sure you're
using the latest version of portmaster (1.9)?

> 1. Every time after some error when I try to run portmaster -r pkg-config\*
> it starts from the beginning. Maybe there is some option to skip updated
> ports. How to tell portmaster to skip updated ports?

By definition the -r flag means "update the ports that depend on this
port no matter what." Jeremy's suggestion of using the -i flag is a
good one though. You will only have to enter your choices (to build a
port or not) only one time, during the 'make config' stage.

> 2. After upgrading some port it asks whether to delete the source file
> or not. I don't want to press button everytime.
> Is it possible to have option something like '[y][n][Allyes][allnO]'?

Please read the man page for portmaster. I've tried to thoroughly
document its behavior and options.

> 3. While portmaster running, I manually updated libtheora port.  When
> portmaster reaches libtheora, it stops with error.

It's not really a good idea to do that, but it's impossible to advise
you without knowing what the error was.

> Is it possible for portmaster to give user some choices in this case
> like "[Skip]..."?

That depends. I'm looking at ways to give the user the option to
continue if there is an error in _some_ situations, but the ports
system relies on a fundamental principle that everything is going to
work together, so if you have something that's not working, it would
be almost impossible to build the level of artificial intelligence
into portmaster to determine how serious the error is, or what to do
about it. That's really the sysadmin's job.

hope this helps,

Doug