GTK theme not applied in Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5

B Briggs rcbdyndns at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 21 05:37:15 UTC 2006

Indigo 23 wrote:
> I checked my gtkrc-2.0 file, and here are its contents:
>
> --------------------BEGIN ~/.gtkrc-2.0----------------------------
> # -- Appended by GNOME Configurator
> include ".gtkrc-2.0-scrollbar_cog"
> style "panel"
> {
>   fg[NORMAL]               = "#ffffff"
>   fg[ACTIVE]               = "#0f0f0f"
>   bg[ACTIVE]               = "#C0C0C0"
> }
> widget "<strong>PanelWidget</strong>" style "panel"
> widget "<strong>PanelApplet</strong>" style "panel"
> class "<strong>Panel</strong>" style "panel"
> widget_class "<strong>Mail</strong>" style "panel"
> class "<strong>notif</strong>" style "panel"
> class "<strong>Notif</strong>" style "panel"
> class "<strong>Tray</strong>" style "panel"
> class "<strong>tray</strong>" style "panel"
> --------------------END ~/.gtkrc-2.0----------------------------
>
> I don't see any paths to change here.  Any other suggestions?  Also,
> do you know why this problem is occuring?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Indigo 23 wrote:
>>> I am just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this problem....Ever
>>> since I upgraded to Gnome 2.16, the GTK themes that I've tried don't
>>> apply in Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5 like they used to when I was using
>>> Gnome 2.14....Is this a known issue? Are there any workarounds?  I
>>> really dislike the default GTK look.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>
> B Briggs wrote:
>> I had to edit my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file and change references to /usr/X11R6
>> to /usr/local. (Assuming you're using the default theme under
>> tools/themes in Firefox/Thunderbird).

Since I don't use gnome for my desktop (I use fluxbox), I probably can't
help much. But here are some things you might want to check.

After you upgraded, firefox and thunderbird were moved to
/usr/local/bin, correct?

In firefox, under Tools/Themes, are you using the firefox default theme?
(This should use the current gtk theme). If you have any other themes
installed, what happens if you switch, then switch back to the default
theme?

In your firefox prefs.js file, is there any reference to X11R6?

Do you have any other .gtkrc* files in ~ ? Take a look at the contents
there.

Are you using the emulation linux firefox/thunderbird? If so, take a
look at:
http://www.metasyntax.net/index.php?section=unix&page=gtkqt

What happens if you put the path to the theme in .gtkrc-2.0 and restart
firefox? Take a look at the url above and the reference to
include "/usr/X11R6/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
(of course you'll want to change X11R6 to local and Clearlooks to
whatever your theme is)

And do you still have anything left in /usr/X11R6/share/themes after
your upgrade? I do, just stuff I installed there myself. If you do,
consider copying or moving them to /usr/local...

What is in ".gtkrc-2.0-scrollbar_cog"? Any reference to X11R6?

I did have the same problem you did after upgrading. But ALL of my gtk
apps had the same default appearance, and as I said, I just had to
change .gtkrc-2.0 from /usr/X11R6... to /usr/local...

--
B Briggs