HEADS UP: GNOME 2.16.1 has been committed

martinko gamato at pobox.sk
Sun Oct 15 15:30:11 PDT 2006

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> The FreeBSD GNOME Team is proud to announce that GNOME 2.16.1 has been
> imported into the ports tree in time for FreeBSD 6.2.  This is a first.
> Usually the GNOME release cycle has conflicted with the FreeBSD release
> cycle.  However, thanks to Kris and pointyhat, we were able to get the
> major patch tested.  Below is the commit message that accompanied this
> huge release.  In addition to the core GNOME ports, almost 500 ports
> were also touched to chase the GNOME move from X11BASE to LOCALBASE and
> fix build problems with the new freetype2.
>
> "Presenting GNOME 2.16.1 for FreeBSD.  This release represents a massive
> amount of work by the FreeBSD GNOME Team and our testers.
>
> On top of the usual GNOME update, we have taken this opportunity to move
> GNOME from X11BASE to LOCALBASE.  This means roughly 600 ports NOT part of
> the GNOME Desktop also need to be changed.  The bulk of the move was carried
> out by ahze, mezz, and pav, but it would not have been possible without
> cooperation from the FreeBSD KDE team who worked with us to make sure
> GNOME and KDE can still coexist happily.  We would also like to send a
> shout out to kris and pointyhat for putting up with multiple test runs
> until we got something that was solid.
>
> Back to GNOME 2.16.  This release brings a huge amount of new functionality
> to FreeBSD.  The standard release notes can be read at
> http://www.gnome.org/start/2.16/ .  But on top of what you will read there,
> jylefort and marcus have completed work on a port of HAL to FreeBSD.  This
> will allow FreeBSD to take advantage of closer hardware interaction such
> as auto-mounting CD-ROMs, USB drives, and music players; auto-playing
> audio CDs; and managing laptop power consumption.

Hello and thanks for your hard work!

I've been using WITH_GECKO=seamonkey (and WITH_MOZILLA=seamonkey) and
now when trying to install new Gnome (after uninstalling nearly
everything) I've got the following error message from yelp installation:

checking which gecko to use... seamonkey
checking for compiler -fshort-wchar option... yes
checking whether to enable C++ RTTI... no
checking whether we have a gtk 2 gecko build... yes
checking whether we have a gecko debug build... no
checking for gecko version... 1.8
configure: error: seamonkey is not supported
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please run the gnomelogalyzer, available from
"http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/gnomelogalyzer.sh", which will diagnose the
problem and suggest a solution. If - and only if - the gnomelogalyzer cannot
solve the problem, report the build failure to the FreeBSD GNOME team at
gnome at FreeBSD.org, and attach (a)
"/usr/ports/x11/yelp/work/yelp-2.16.1/config.log", (b) the output of the
failed make command, and (c) the gnomelogalyzer output. Also, it might be a
good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
(i.e. an `ls /var/db/pkg`). Put your attachment up on any website,
copy-and-paste into http://freebsd-gnome.pastebin.com, or use send-pr(1)
with
the attachment. Try to avoid sending any attachments to the mailing list
(gnome at FreeBSD.org), because attachments sent to FreeBSD mailing lists are
usually discarded by the mailing list software.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/yelp.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/yelp.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2-lite.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2-lite.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa
/tmp/portinstall.3919.0 env make reinstall
** Fix the installation problem and try again.
--->  Installation of x11/gnome2-lite ended at: Mon, 16 Oct 2006
00:24:55 +0200 (consumed 00:04:15)
--->  Fresh installation of x11/gnome2-lite ended at: Mon, 16 Oct 2006
00:24:55 +0200 (consumed 00:05:26)
--->  ** Install tasks 1: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 372 packages
found (-0 +1) . done]
--->  Listing the results (+:done / -:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
        ! x11/gnome2-lite       (install error)
--->  Packages processed: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed
--->  Session ended at: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:24:57 +0200 (consumed 00:06:22)

I cannot see a reason why seamonkey wouldn't be supported (and it's
listed in yelp/Makefile).
Could you please check and fix this ?

Cheers,

Martin