Port Bloat

Peter Thoenen eol1 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 22:53:34 PDT 2006

A couple months ago somebody posted a heads up on this list from the
FreeBSD Ports Team about ports bloat and the massive influx of new
software along with all the unmaintained ports.  Has the port team ever
thought about:

A) Making a delete port pr request.  This way port maintainers INSTEAD
of marking 'transfer ownership to ports at freebsd.org' and hoping
somebody takes it over one day could actually just delete ports they no
longer wish to maintain.  There should be some sort of WARN marking
mechanism though (valid for X months (maybe 6)) that notifies any new
user (or current via a portupgrade and EPOCH bumb) that this port is no
longer maintained and scheduled for deletion unless one of them takes
over maitainership by DATE.

B) In line with A, has anybody thought about just marking ALL
ports at freebsd.org as scheduled for deletion on X date.  Thousands of
people are using these ports, you can't tell me if they were actually
scheduled to be deleted from the tree at least one of the users
wouldn't take over maintainership.

-Peter

Just some ideas (as I have ports I own that I no longer care about and
would like to delete),

-Peter