man hier? -- FreeBSD Port: sysutils/fusefs-kmod

martinko gamato at pobox.sk
Fri Oct 13 14:25:30 PDT 2006

Florent Thoumie wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 18:33 +0200, martinko wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wonder what is the reasoning behind fusefs-kmod port way of dealing
>> with kernel module(s).
>> I remember iwi ports putting their modules into /boot/modules and then
>> one only had to edit /boot/loader.conf[.local]
>> Now fusefs-kmod creates new directory /usr/local/modules where it puts
>> its module, then it optionally edit /etc/sysctl.conf to modify
>> kern.module_path and rc.conf to run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fusefs script.
>> Is all of this really necessary and why please ??
>
> It makes the port/package PREFIX-clean. I could have done that for intel
> firmware ports but I thought it would be too painful for the end-user.

I see.  It's just that it feels too complicated and it doesn't look very
nice to me, either. :-/
So is /usr/local/modules the final location of 3rd party modules?  I
mean was it agreed on or any port can choose it's own directory?
Also, it seems to me like too much overhead to create rc.d script for
each such a port only to allow it to load kernel module.
I mean couldn't we have something like there's for local libraries or rc
scripts?  The paths are already preset.
Well, I only would like to see it simplified and standardised somehow.
But I'm pretty sure you guys will come up with a good solution.  Thanks
for your effort.

Regards,

Martin