ruby18 won't install, gets stuck in 'sread'

VANHULLEBUS Yvan vanhu_bsd at zeninc.net
Wed Oct 4 04:10:54 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:53:45PM +0200, Jacques S. wrote:
> The problem I have now is that I cannot get the latest Ruby18 port will
> not install in one of the FreeBSD systems I look after. After an
> otherwise apparently normal make and make install, process ruby18 stalls
>  at "Generating RI" in "sread" state, thrashing the hd or paging memory
> in an apparently endless I/O loop.
> Under top, swap stats are:
> Swap: 512M Total, 126M Used, 386M Free, 24% Inuse, with In and Out
> changing like crazy.
>
> Computer in question is a very old box: (i386/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron)
> with very little memory. FreeBSD is version 5.5p8

Hi.

I recently (a few days ago) sent a pr about a problem with ruby: it
uses *lots* of RAM to generate some "RDOC" during install, and it
will cause some memory problems with old computers.

Stanislav Sedov commited this week a new version of the port which has
an option to disable doc generation, and now ruby installs quickly on
small computers.

Yvan.

--
NETASQ