ruby18 won't install, gets stuck in 'sread'

Jacques S. offbyone at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 4 03:57:40 PDT 2006

The problem I have now is that I cannot get the latest Ruby18 port will
not install in one of the FreeBSD systems I look after. After an
otherwise apparently normal make and make install, process ruby18 stalls
  at "Generating RI" in "sread" state, thrashing the hd or paging memory
in an apparently endless I/O loop.
Under top, swap stats are:
Swap: 512M Total, 126M Used, 386M Free, 24% Inuse, with In and Out
changing like crazy.

Computer in question is a very old box: (i386/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron)
with very little memory. FreeBSD is version 5.5p8

 From archives, Google, etc., it appears others sometimes have this
problem--process stalled in 'sread' state--but I didn't find anywhere an
explanation of the problem or a solution.

Maybe someone here at freebsd-ports can help? I hope so.
Thanks.

--
Jacques

"You can't always get what you want."