DESTDIR problems ...

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Nov 29 23:50:47 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:15:10PM +0100, Vincent Blondel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just finalized a Makefile making a complete apache jail machine. For
> this I used a common
>
>   'make DESTDIR=jail_path install clean'
>
> But I noticed this does not work with all ports. For info, these packages
> give me problems perl5.8 m4 p5-Locale-gettext autoconf259 apache20.
>
> Nevertheless, I found a workaround by first making a package and install
> it after in the jail machine.
>
> For example, I noticed 'install phase' (apache20) makes problems with
> variable PREFIX that is not defined with PREFIX=DESTDIR+PREFIX. This is
> just an example but there are others.
>
> Can somebody say me if these problems are known, if these bugs are being
> solved  ??

This was sent to the wrong list; the freebsd-ports mailing list
is --> that way.

Anyway, DESTDIR support is incomplete and further work seems to have
stalled.  The easiest thing to do is either

a) mount the ports tree inside your jail (e.g using nullfs) and build
it "as normal"

b) Use precompiled packages within your jail, e.g. from the FTP site
using pkg_add -r or 'make package' outside the jail.

Kris