stale dependencies and portupgrade

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Nov 28 11:15:21 PST 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:47:30 -0600, Vivek Khera <vivek at khera.org> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>>> I suppose the bug is that I expected portupgrade -Rr to recompute
>>> the dependency lists of the upstream ports to take into account
>>> any changing dependencies of the updated port.
>>> Do other port manager utilities take this type of change into
>>> account?  At this point, I'm not sure any of my dependencies are
>>> accurate on the complex ports like RT.
>>
>> This type of complexity is one of the reasons why portmaster does
>> not use an "extra" database to track dependencies. It instead
>> relies on /var/db/pkg and the ports framework to do that, and
>> updates the +CONTENTS files themselves when needed.
>>

> I think the ports infrastructure also needs to be able to specify
> which dependencies are directly linked to a given port and which ones
> are inherited.  Else the only way to do it is to recompute the full
> list from the "top of the tree" for ports like RT.
>
> I'll have a look at portmaster.  Do I have to chase up the tree to
> find the top level port or can I just "portmaster p5-Expect" and have
> it chase all the way up and fix everything that depends on that port?

Just give a head up, if you are going to use 'portmaster -s' then make
sure you do not use pkgdb. The pkgdb kill 'portmaster -s' function. I have
requested to sem if he can gets pkgdb to not remove an empty of
+REQUIRED_BY, but he hasn't answer back yet for months. I don't know if he
already has fix it or whatever as I don't need pkgdb anymore in the
lastest version of portmaster.

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org