stale dependencies and portupgrade

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Tue Nov 28 10:47:36 PST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

>> I suppose the bug is that I expected portupgrade -Rr to recompute
>> the dependency lists of the upstream ports to take into account
>> any changing dependencies of the updated port.
>> Do other port manager utilities take this type of change into
>> account?  At this point, I'm not sure any of my dependencies are
>> accurate on the complex ports like RT.
>
> This type of complexity is one of the reasons why portmaster does
> not use an "extra" database to track dependencies. It instead
> relies on /var/db/pkg and the ports framework to do that, and
> updates the +CONTENTS files themselves when needed.

I think the ports infrastructure also needs to be able to specify
which dependencies are directly linked to a given port and which ones
are inherited.  Else the only way to do it is to recompute the full
list from the "top of the tree" for ports like RT.

I'll have a look at portmaster.  Do I have to chase up the tree to
find the top level port or can I just "portmaster p5-Expect" and have
it chase all the way up and fix everything that depends on that port?