mail/mailgraph users

Rong-En Fan rafan at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 28 04:25:41 PST 2006

If you are using mail/mailgraph, please spend one minute
to read this.

Currently, the pkg-message shows

Make sure this script should be invoked with privilege to read
/var/log/maillog.

I was told that this instruction may not be clearly enough
and especially on newer 6.x, the default permission of maillog
is 640. Therefore, you can not simply install and run without
further changes in newsyslog.conf.

Now, I come up with the following paragraph:

Make sure this script should be invoked with privilege to read
/var/log/maillog. For example, you may change the permission of
maillog to be 644. Another way is to make maillog owned by
the mail group, and put mailgraph_user in that group.

You may wonder why I don't modify newsyslog.conf. The reason
is that I don't want to have policy in the package. The decision
should be left to users.

If you have better ideas about how instruct users to setup
newsyslog and mailgraph, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rong-En Fan